Monday, August 30, 2010

DSC_6407D80


This is a photograph that has been repieced in Photoshop from 6 different photographs, each one showing a section of this photograph. Repiecing begins in 1907 with Cubism and Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. In 1970 David Hockney brought Cubism to photography thru his “joiner” series of photographs where he would photograph a section of a subject and then continue to photograph other sections and finally piece small prints of them together into a larger print.

I began to put sections of photographs together in 2005 in an effort to achieve a higher resolution photograph. I was in transition from 4x5 film view camera photography to digital photography. The camera I was using at the time I liked in many ways but was deeply disappointed with the much lower resolution results that I was getting with a digital camera. The digital photograph lacked the texture and spatial clarity that I had achieved in 4x5. I was trying to make a seamless realistic photograph that did not work. I did get the resolution that I was after, but I ended up liking the unexpected fragmented image. I was not thinking of Picasso or Hockney at the time, but since that day I have thought of their work frequently.

text and photograph ©2010 Paul Light all rights reserved

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home